Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On The Hobbit and the Walk of Shame.

I did my first real Walk of Shame recently.

I have done a walk of shame, but never a Walk of Shame. I have even done a stride of pride and a Stride of Pride (even when walking back from Peet, Beloiters--its possible). But, this recent Walk of Shame was significant to me because of my pure amount of embarrassment. The guy was cute, and we only made out for a bit, but my behavior that night, most of it as a result of drinking, is gross to sober me. As I walked back to my dorm room at 6 a.m., I thought to myself, Why, oh why did I ever leave my Hobbit hole?

#textsfromMom
(My mother is probably reading this, embarrassed for me and for her parenting skills, but she should keep reading.)

My life has been circling around Middle-earth for the past two weeks. I've only read the first 100 pages of Lord of the Rings, and I've only seen the first two movies (in their extended-entirety), so I am no LOTR expert, but my mother was obsessed with the books when she was a girl. We saw the trailer for The Hobbit before seeing The Adventures of TinTin in 3D, and she absolutely freaked out. I won't say it was like she was a girl again, but it was cute.

My mother, on the bottom right, in her early LOTR days.
Anyways, one day in October, a friend of mine checked The Hobbit out of our college library. He is a sophomore, and has time to read The Hobbit, which made me bitter, but nonetheless, it inspired me to listen to the audiobook. Long story short (jk, its been a long story), I've been listening The Hobbit every night as I fall asleep, and identifying more and more with Bilbo Baggins.

Top 5 Reasons I Identify with Bilbo Baggins:

1. I have a deep, emotional connection to the spaces I live in. I never feel as comfortable outside of my space as I do inside it. Bilbo puts it best: "I wish I was back in my Hobbit hole by my own warm fireside with the lamp shining." Even if you're on a wonderful adventure, you're still going to miss the things in your crappy dorm room because they're yours. Also, when Gandalf brings an entire party to the Hobbit hole, Bilbo is obviously having a seriously out of control panic attack. I would be like that, but way worse.

2. The night that ended with my Walk Of Shame, I didn't really want to go out. But for some reason, in spite of myself, I did go out. I left my Hobbit hole. Big mistake?

3. I have peculiar eating and sleeping schedules, and I hate when things/people interrupt them. If you know anything about Hobbits, you know that this is as characteristic of a Hobbit as their hairy feet.

4. I complain about everything--even when I am clearly enjoying myself. (Well, almost everything. I can talk myself out of doing anything and can always come up with a reason to not do or not go to something.) My brother does this too, but only with movies--he never wants to watch them, but when he does, he always immediately go on Facebook to post a status about how great the movie was. (Recent examples: Megamind, Fantastic Mr. Fox, both of which are perfect movies to watch with nieces and nephews of all ages.) The reader knows that Bilbo leaves his Hobbit hole because he wants to leave, he wants an adventure, even if he claims he only does it in spite of himself.

5. "'Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!' he said to himself, and it became a favorite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb." Is it corny of me to say that this past weekend was a live dragon, and I laughed in its face? Because I learned my lesson. I'm taking it easy for the rest of the semester(, she said, hopefully).

Thank God I'm not identifying with Gollum. Thank God my mother raised me to love reading, or else I'd have no friends.

One last thing (for now) relating to my mother. I inherited (read: took) her old records, and subsequently became obsessed with the music she listened to, especially Elvis Costello. I have two copies of My Aim is True on vinyl: hers, from the early 1980s, and my own, bought at a record store in the mid naughties. Anyways, whenever I'm feeling particularly angsty, I listen to this song. Any early, punk-y Elvis will do, but this song is perfect:


No comments:

Post a Comment